Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Hunger for God: Intro Final Thoughts

Piper writes, "The most mature Christians I have ever met are the hungriest for God."

It is a simple statement, yet very profound. The more deeply I walk with God, the more deeply I will hunger for Him. Piper goes on to state that the more deeply I hunger for God, the more ". homesick I will get for heaven... the more I will want all the fullness of God."

I yearn to see Jesus, to have my children see Jesus in me. I just finished the 4 part Revelation Preceipt class and I long for Heaven. I long for heaven because I just can't get this life on earth the way its suppose to be lived. Daily I am faced with my own sin and selfishness and I just hate struggling with my own sin so much. I hate battling desires with the computer, the television, the desire for idleness, the lack of desire to put down the work and enjoy the children. None of those are bad things, but when used to escape from life, they are sin. I love my children and cooking and swimming but there are days when all I want is to do nothing - not read my Bible or pray or worship. In those moments I must remember to choose to hunger for God - it is a learned pattern. I fear that I nibble so much on the trappings of the world that the hunger for God is pushed out. It is a battle that I often don't even prepare for but almost desire to sit on the sidelines and watch. I know a few great men and women of God - they are contagious and I want to be that for this dark world - contagious for others salvation.

These are the days of fasting, Jesus writes in Matthew 9:15 that the "... days will come when the Bridegroom is taken away from them and then they will fast." In heaven there will be no need to fast, but until He returns, we are commanded to fast.

There is hope, the Lord did not leave me ill equipped, He left me the Holy Spirit, His precious Word and the art of Fasting. I believe it will be these three that will produce a deep hunger for God in my life that just might be contagious to others someday.

No comments: