Monday, March 18, 2013

Why We Homeschool?

I'm writing this post, off work for a whole week with nowhere to be but home with my kiddo's cleaning the house and catching up on life. It has been a rough two years of work and growth and learning to set boundaries, so my paying job doesn't consume every ounce of who I am. It was a year where my ideals were  challenged and my priorities were pushed aside. It has not been a great year, I'll be honest - but it solidified in my mind that the corporate world is not for me in this age and phase of life. My impact on the generations will not be lived out in front of a computer or in balancing balance sheets, it will be lived out in front of these 6 little eyes who watch my every move and hear my every conversation. In fact, I feel that all that hard work for my company doesn't actually produce much change or good in this culture - its a lot like the government, to much politics and bureaucracy to be effective. It makes me glad I'm a mom and that I can subdue and effect something with my life!


Why did we choose to homeschool?

  • ...because I love being with my children, being with them all day means the corrections I make into their lives are more readily excepted because they have been with me all day and their hearts are receptive to my instruction. If they run off to school, they would be at school more hours than with their momma.
  • ... because crazy schedules and busy days make me anxious and grouchy.
  • ... because doing homework after 8 hours of school seems insane and I wonder when they get to be kids and play outside and use their imaginations?
  • ... because my kids try my patience and shape and change me as a believer and that makes me a better mother. Not more "me" time or break time, its the pressure that refines me most days.
  • ... because I want to plan what they learn and see the progress, I want to slow down and speed up based on the child's gifted'ness and struggles. No child walks or talks or crawls on cue to a schedule, nor does a child learn to read, write or memorize.
  • ... because I care more about my children's character than their intelligence  and character is forged at home with a loving parent who instructs and guides and prays for wisdom.
  • ... because my Faith in Jesus is a significant part of my life and I want my kids to see that lived out - the great and the ugly. I want them to hear me ask for forgiveness and hear me pray for more patience. I also want to start the morning in prayer and bible and not rush off to an institution that doesn't enforce my core beliefs.
  • ... because I'm not a morning person and the idea of waking my kids up at 6:00 am just sounds like torture! Call me selfish or lazy -  I don't mind, I love my sleep and I'm a better mother because of it!
  • ... because my children are uniquely designed and therefore need unique learning opportunities.
  • ... because life is short and I only get to be a mom for a few decades, I don't want to miss a thing!
  • ... because I hate making lunches and school food is full of crap, harmful additives that I don't want my children to consume. 
  • ... because I think that heading to the Zoo is just as valuable, if not more so, than sitting at a desk.
  • ... because children learn by moving and wiggling and asking a bazillion questions - something an institution isn't capable of managing with 20-30 kids per class and is often annoyed at.
  • ... because testing produces anxiety and is a horrible way of evaluating the intelligence of children - especially in the younger grades.
  • ... because schools are all geared towards instructing girls and do not recognize that boys and girls are not created the same and do not learn the same ways (Read: Why Gender Matters). Since I have two boys - it didn't seem very logical to me to send them off to receive a feminized education.
  • ... because no teacher is committed to the success of my children, more than I am!
  • ... because I am made of flesh and I am very selfish when left to my own devices, I know if my kids were off at school all day I would waste my hours away and loose focus on the ideals God has set in my heart for our family.
  • ... because God has called me to homeschool since Drew was just a tiny little baby - somethint that wasn't very popular. God always directs me to His perfect plan and I learned a long time ago that obedience produces great faith and blessing.
  • ... because it never felt natural to me to send them to a bus stop or drop them off at school  5 days a week.
  • ... because family is important and I want my children to love one another - to be united and a team - homeschooling naturally produces this environment.
  • ... because  I am blessed with a husband and a job that also support this lifestyle. I also live in a great state that has a lot of like minded homeschooling moms.
 So, on the next homeschool day that brings me to the brink -- I will read my words - written while fully awake (12am to be exact) and having been well fed - an encouragement to my weary body to never give up, to not grow weary of doing good, and that refinement and perseverance produce their desired results. Also - remember to smile Melissa  - its contagious!
 

No comments: