Thursday, June 7, 2012

An Orphan...

“We learned that orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They are easier to ignore before you see their faces. It is easier to pretend they’re not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes.”David Platt
I've been doing a lot of thinking, praying and meditating today about what it means for me today to be a Christian, what plans God may or may not have for our family regarding adopting, the unknown, the mysterious and the plane hard.  David Platt radically changed his entire life, location, family DNA to conform to a more radical Christian lifestyle. He didn't act our of religion but relationship. Shouldn't my life look different, dare I say radical to this dying world? When I worry about the unknowns of adoption like how old will they be, what needs will they have, will they hurt my 3 kids, and on and one, I get trapped by the unknown. David Platt reminds me in this quote above why we're praying about adopting - it isn't because its easy, or clean or lovely, but because it is messy and hard and life changing. Those things that take the most faith and hardest sacrifice are exactly what we should be pushing for because God is radical and calls us to radically love the hurting and helpless of this sinful world. 
I pray that once I hold our future orphan in my arms that fear and nameless face will know they have a home and a family to walk through all those hard times with. I pray that our child will see that God loved them to much that He sent His Son Jesus and radically changed the rule book of the world. 
So today as I pour out my fears to the Lord and question all that I've known in my heart to be true, I pray that my heart for the orphan will grow and not harden and fade. That I would have courage and strength to walk down a path that I know will be difficult and rocky and painful but will develop greater dependence and intimacy with my Jesus. 

No comments: