Saturday, June 9, 2012

Renewed Habits

Much of life revolves around habits. Habits reveal those things that are important in life and those that are not. I have a habit of brushing my teeth, reading my Bible, praying, going to work, dressing for work,  working from home,  and waking up around the same time. When I look at my life choices those that are important became a habit, those that weren't faded away. We are defined by life's choices and for the month of June I'm determined to remove a bad habit from my day. Every night, after the kids were in bed and the work had been completed I'd sit down with my husband, or maybe by myself, and vegetate on television and tea. Now the nightly hot tea ritual isn't bad, but my drive for evening to hurry so I could relax was not a pattern I really wanted in my life. So I've taken away television for the month of June.

Instead I've been setting aside various times during the day to teach the kids a new game, or read a book for 10-15 minutes, or enjoy some baking (today I canned jam and baked cookies)  to do things I enjoy amidst the day instead of when the day was over. I want the kids to see me relax a little more and read my own adult books - maybe my oldest will catch on and do more than look at all those beautiful picture and read a few words? I love to relax but I always find things I feel should be done, so I'm trying to relax amidst the day and save the "musts" for later on or at night when the kids are in bed.

The irony of it all is that I maybe only spent 3-4 hours a week watching television, but I feel like I've gained so much more time - it doesn't make sense. So tonight, the kids are in bed and my husband cleaned the kitchen, so I'm going to snuggle down with my book and sip some tea and eat a home made oatmeal, flax, raisin cookie! I love making new habits!  I wonder what habit I should work on with the kids tomorrow - putting their pull ups in the garbage or their clothes in the hamper and not on the floor?

Melissa

No comments: