Sunday, March 18, 2012

My Children Refine Me; but God Defines Me

My children have the capacity to bring out my very best and very worst! John spent the week of Spring Break in Oregon visiting family and  friends while I enjoyed the week with my children. We had a wonderful time! As I sat one evening reflecting on the day, I was reminded why children are such a blessing from the Lord. Each one of my children work on different aspects of my fleshly self.

Abby (2) - needs a lot of patience, she requires a lot of time, observation, and training. She is into everything and has no fear. I can loose patience with this girl by 10 am if I'm not walking in the Spirit!

Drew (7) - needs a lot of encouragement and smiles, he needs physical touch and lots of back rubs. If I'm not careful I can damage him with my words or lack of hugs and kisses and encouraging smiles.

Gabe (4) - teaches me to plan my  day and stick to it, because if I don't he  gets missed. Gabe is happy to play with his siblings or alone, he doesn't demand time or hugs like the other two. If I'm not intentional about my day Gabe gets missed.

My children each work on me in various way - they don't even know it! I have grown to appreciate the unique ways the Lord designed my kids because they individually refine me towards holiness. My children are a sincere blessing; each time we've added a new heartbeat into our family, I've become a better mother, wife and friend - those heart beats are loved so much that I am inspired to become more intimate with my Father. He is the one who knows exactly what each little heart beat needs in order to become all God designed them to be. I want that for myself and I want that for my kids.

I tell my kids all the time that God has big plans for their lives - they are being equipped to be world changers for God. They are God's workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works!

Then - Gabe smiles at me and asks his famous question - "Mom, what do you want to be when you grow up?" To which  I reply "A mom silly!" Then Gabe laughs and says "No, mom when you grow up and aren't a mom anymore!"

I love how my kids refine me!

No comments: