Monday, March 19, 2012

Growing Up Conversations

My oldest baby is 7! He is growing up so much and it is becoming obvious by his questions that he is wrestling with new topics of interest. Today out of the nowhere, during casual conversation, Drew asked me " Why does my friend "so and so" have two mommies?" Wow, I wasn't expecting that one.

Our conversation went something like this:

Me: So Drew, where do you know  "so and so" from?
Drew: You know, church.
Me: Ok, Our church or school church?
Drew: Our Sunday church, she says her mommy doesn't believe in Jesus. Does that mean her mommy is going to hell?

Wow, when Drew ask questions, he really asks some doosies - hell and homosexuality all in one day!

Me: I see Drew, we certainly have some great things to talk about. Lets first talk about your friends mommies. Is it weird that she has 2 mommies?

Drew: Well, God says that we are to marry, you know , a boy or a girl, but not together. I mean, a boy and girl can marry, that is how Adam and Eve did it, right?

Me: You are right, the bible says that marriage is to be between one man and one woman. I think that your friend is very lucky to be in church so that we can pray for her family. God says that being together with the same sex, like in marriage, is a sin. Can you think of any sin you committed today?

Drew: Well, yes, I did take all of Gabe's blocks and he wasn't happy with me.

Me: Yes, you were selfish and took your brothers blocks. When God looks at sin, it is important to remember that sin to God is sin. God doesn't rate our sin and say one is better or worse than the other. So when you took Gabe's blocks, that is sin, just like being with the same sex is sin. Is your sin going to condemn you to hell?

Drew: Well no because I have Jesus in my heart so even though I sin I'm still given grace when I sin.

Me: Yep - so we really need to pray for your friends family that they would be saved and that God would change their hearts!

We then talked about ways we could love our friend, pray for her and her mommies. I love it that we attend a church that brings the community into the church and loves them where they are. I believe in God's design - one man and one woman. I don't believe God approves of divorce or bigamy or murder or prostitution - but all are found in the Bible and the God of the Bible is the same yesterday, today and forever. The fact is, we all sin, screw up and most of the time are messy people. I know from my personal experience that when I follow the Lord's design my life is free from the trials of the world - I have different trials that normally shape and mold me into the image of God. I like those trials - I try and stay away from sin because I know it will only lead me into trouble.

I won't roll over and be stepped all over - I won't say that I agree with the way homosexuals live, but I won't stand and condemn those people either. Jesus came to seek and save the lost - His time for judgement is coming, Our jobs as Christians is to love them with our words and actions while there is still hope! We're living in the days of grace - the  days on the Lord when we can love people, share the Gospel with them and pray that their eyes would be opened to the bigger plan that God has for their life.

So - sweet Drew. I love it that you ask me big questions and keep me accountable to God for having a Biblical perspective and that I must pray for lots of wisdom as I parent you!

No comments: