Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Thinker

Drew set up a tea party for his little sister. He is such a special big brother who loves to dress up his sissy and drink tea!

For those who know Drew, is isn't shocking for me to say that he is my "thinker." I came home from the  Mom Heart conference with a renewed  vigor to model for my kids the joy and awesomeness of the Lord. We've been singing great hymns and songs about God and today we began a book about the great sacrifices Christian's have given for their faith. Sally encouraged us to give our children hero's - hero's who were passionate about God and who served Him with sacrifice. Hero's for my children to emulate.
My sweet Drew is so close to having a saving relationship with Jesus, I say "saving" because he has a relationship with Jesus, he just isn't quite to the point where he grasps the sacrifice and commitment that the Lord offers & requires. Having a personal relationship with Jesus isn't just a prayer and then you skip on your merry way, having "checked" that item off the to do list. To own a personal relationship with Jesus takes heart, sometimes death. A saving faith requires sacrifice and a sincere heart that is so in love with Jesus that you are willing to give up everything for Him.

So tonight we began a deep thinking book - a book about Martyrs.  I grappled with reading this book to Drew, but I figured it  can't be any worse than the Old Testiment - right? This book, Jesus Freaks,  I read in High School with tear stained cheeks right after I came to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Might the Lord use this book again to draw my son's heart towards Himself? I pray so.

Drew is a deep thinker and I really want him to grasp the commitment we should all have in serving the Lord. God has told me that he has great and powerful, culture changing plans for all 3 of my kids. This is a season in their life when they are learning what it means to be a  follower of Jesus - what a hard job this is to convey daily to those 6 little eyes who watch me day in and day out. This is their time to learn and grow roots, soon they will go into the world as salt and light - unwavering and holding fast to their Christian ideals. Our home is a safe place for growing deep roots!

Today we were talking about the gift Jesus gives us when we fall down before the Lord and ask Him to enter into the very  being of who we are - the helper who is called the Holy Spirit. Drew was so excited to hear that when you ask to be on team Jesus you actually get Jesus living inside of  you. Later we were talking about why people do evil things, like kill Christian's for their faith. I shared that Satan is very powerful on earth and can work in the lives of unbelievers. Drew became very scared and asked if Satan could come into his heart. I explained that if your heart is possessed by the Holy Spirit, Satan can never have that kind of power over you again. Drew was so thrilled with that answer. He is so close. He asked me all the time how to be saved and how he will know that he is saved.

Please pray for the heart of my little boy - he is so close and has a soft and tender heart that is fast becoming more passionate about the Lord than I am. It is time for me to pick up my game too - as we read about the hero's of our faith I am convicted of my own shallow sacrifices. Drew asked me tonight if I would give up my life for Jesus - I told him "yes" and I believe I truly would. But, my flesh has a hard time going and truly thinking about that. I turned it around and asked myself - am I truly willing to live for Jesus without compromise - today when my day is interrupted by Jesus - will I obey and serve that neighbor or read another book to that child ? Yes, but I still pray for boldness like I've never experienced before. I pray my children would be bold and uncompromising too.

So - pray for my thinker! He is getting so close to asking Jesus Christ to come and live in his heart forever.

Here are some "I Am" statements we've been learning about as we journey through the book of John.


  • John 6:51:"I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever;"
  • John 8:23: And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I AM from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
  • John 8:12: Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I AM the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."
  • John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
  • John 10:9: "I AM the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."
  • John 10:11: "I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
  • John 10:36: "do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?
  • John 11:25: Jesus said to her, "I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
  • John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
  • John 15:1: "I AM the true vine, and My Father is the vine-dresser.
 Lord - may I passionately serve the great "I AM" the maker of heaven and earth, the creator of all things who deeply desires intimacy with a mother - a sinner - like me. Thank you for grace upon grace and the understanding I'm finally applying to my life - to parent in grace and bestow grace upon everyone I meet - especially bestowing grace upon myself. Give me the strength to parent as You would parent and provide me wisdom and patience to grow children with roots that grow deep into the depths of Hell to save a lost and dieing world. May they stand firm and not  be shaken by culture - may they hold fast to their Christian ideals.  Amen.

No comments: