Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Fresh Beginning

“Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
Matthew 11:28-29

It is almost 2012, a new start to a fresh new year. As Anne Shirley would say, " A new (year) without any mistakes."  The hustle and bustle of Christmas is over. I must admit,  I am looking forward to a new schedule and a routine to our daily life again. I love the season of food and fun and chaos, but I can only stay there for so long. I miss routine and (forced) early morning rising with a quite morning spent with the Lord. The Christmas season is so much fun yet so exhausting. There are always things to do and I feel that all those things take away from the season instead of add to them. I must admit - I feel that this Christmas was not what I had envisioned for my family. I deeply desire traditions rooted in Christ and instead I just felt so tired that all the traditions were hard to accomplish on my own. My kids loved the stories and devotions and gingerbread house decorating. They loved Christmas morning and all the presents. I just felt that Christ and his meager manger were somehow missed.

So as I look ahead to a new year I am excited. I am excited that our quest to better health is still exciting and fun. I'm looking ahead and want to make more of my own household things, save more money, give more passionately, look more seriously into adoption and dream big dreams for our family. I'm excited to move past the discipline of fasting - which was a very hard thing for me to do. I can sit back and say that I no longer fear the idea of fasting. I can discern the situations when the Lord is asking me to fast about a decision and plan out a 24 or 48 hour period to fast and pray and be silent before the Lord. The second discipline of prayer is one I will continue to work through . I'm currently reading Richard Fosters book on prayer which has helped me to see my entire life as a prayer or conversation with the Lord. 

My goal for 2012 is to put more of God's word into my heart through a more disciplined scripture memory program and to continue developing a more passionate prayer life. I loved slowing down in 2011 and plan to continue that practice. I am still working on contentment and being satisfied with where the Lord has me at this exact moment, the process of counting blessings has helped me immensely with my discontented spirit.  The act of obeying the Lord, walking in humility, and pushing myself to know Him deeper and more intimately is what the Lord requires from me every year - I pray I don't waste the year away and instead rest in the moment of now  - knowing God knows and orchestrated the plans He has for me - not for harming but to bring me a future full of hope.

“In quietness and rest shall be your strength.” Isaiah 30:15

No comments: