Thursday, December 15, 2011

Blanket Time

School Break is upon us, but I thought I'd post this picture of Abby on Blanket Time. I love blanket time, all three of my kids have learned this wonderful skill. I love the fact that I can put my toddler in one place and (after they are trained) not have anything destroyed or ruined when  I get back. I use this wonderful little trick during the afternoon when I am trying to work with Drew on his math or spelling. It gives me about 30 minutes of breathing time before I move us on the the next activity.

One added benefit to this wonderful little lesson is that children, who aren't prone to slowing down (all 3 of mine) will have to creatively figure out how to play. Abby doesn't like to play alone - she has  two brothers why should she need that skill? I've noticed as the months have gone on that her play has become more directed at a specific purpose - like stacking blocks or lining up animals. It is quite fun to watch her play! Normally, she is following her brothers around, eating at the table or getting into mischief trying to do what brothers do - like color or play Lego's. It is nice to see her using her own imagination to create play!

No comments: