Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Who Are You?

I was asked by our team a few weeks back if, "my husband is the same man today that he was when I married him?" Without any hesitation I replied "Nope, not even close."
 God has done a number on this man,  I wish I could claim even an ounce of credit, but truly is wasn't until I backed off and dealt with my own ugly sin that God moved in to work on his heart.
 I am a blessed, so blessed woman to be married to such a man. He was awesome on the day we said "I do!" I truly couldn't have imagined him any better. God did a spiritual work in his life and worked on his heart. God worked on his holiness. God worked on my holiness. God changed us both to look more like Himself.
 I remember a time early in our marriage when things were not so holy and my own sin got in the way of God's workmanship. At the bottom I looked up and read 1 Peter 3:4 " let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God"  So I prayed for my man, instead of nagged,  who would have family devotions, consistently be in the word and encourage me in the same practice, a man who would be supportive of homeschooling, a man who would lead our family and not withdrawal into childish ways. God then moved.....
 As I meditated on 1 Peter 3:1 "In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, 2 as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior"
 I stopped complaining and nagging and began to purify my speech to only speak words that built my husband up. I practiced the "love dare"  before it was even called a "love dare." I truly was the woman who the proverbs talks about being so harsh with words that her husband would rather sleep in the corner of an attic.
 My sweet and gentle husband, today I look at you some 5+ years later and wonder - Who Are You? "Who Am I?" What a mighty work the Lord has done in our lives.
 I know that God used mighty trials to purify our hearts and mold us together as one. What Satan meant to rip us apart, God used to melt our flesh together as one.
 I am so proud to call you my husband - a man of God who daily meets with the Lord, lifts up our  family in prayer, cares for orphans and widows, is generous beyond understanding, has the most sensitive and caring spirit and who sacrifices daily for his family.
I asked the  boys what they miss the most about you being gone and they both replied "Bible time!" They so very much miss your stories and voice overs and life lessons that speak truth and grace into their hearts.

I wish with all my heart to grow into a woman who loves you as much as you love your family. Your famous line to be is "If ever you think I've done something to intentionally hurt you, you've looked at the situation the wrong way. I only do things to build you up." In looking at past experiences, John's statement has always held true. My husband truly is the most selfless man alive - I can't think of anything he has ever done to intentionally hurt me.

John - your commitment to God is the example to me I wished for early on in our marriage. Your compassion is beyond measure and I'm so very  blessed to call you my husband. As I watch you serve and sacrifice special needs children I'm in awe at your skill and deep God given love for others. I know God is  richly blessing your time in Vietnam and I'm forever receiving blessings from God because of the godly life you lead. I can't wait to welcome you home, into my arms,  in just a few short days and hear of your many adventures!

Love,
Missy

No comments: