Sunday, August 1, 2010

In The Silence


From  the Archives: Psalms 139
A few weeks ago my 3 ½ year old and I were chatting; I was teaching him the truth that “God created all things”. My son insisted that his new brother wasn’t made by God; he was made by mommy’s tummy! There lay the sweet innocence of a 3 ½ year-old. Psalms 139 came to my mind, so I read the passage; explaining to my son that God “formed our inward parts and wove his brother together in mommy’s tummy.” My son smiled in understanding; excited to have “proof” that God had indeed created all things, including his baby brother! I love intimate conversations with my child, to sit and listen to what’s on his mind brings joy to my heart and helps me to know what is going on in his heart.  
Likewise, God desires intimacy with His children! In verses 17-18 David writes, “How precious are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them. If I should count them, they should outnumber the sand.”  God doesn’t just think about me, He desires to share those thoughts with me, much like parents share conversations with their children. God’s thoughts for me outnumber the sand, that’s a lot of wisdom and conversations God wants to invest in me.  Unfortunately, quite often I am surrounded with noise, unable to hear the “still small voice” beckoning me to abide in Him.   

No comments: