Thursday, July 8, 2010

Discipline

It has been a long 6 months, my little Abby is growing up so fast. I've learned a lot having three kids, I've learned how to pile them all into the back seat of our Jeep, how much time I need to walk out of the house on time, and that eating any green vegetables will give Abby gas and sleepless nights for two days.

When Gabers was born I went through 6 month of shock, having  two kids wasn't anything like I expected. I succumbed to the exhaustion and melted into a hum drum existence for about a year. With Abby I promised myself I wasn't going to allow that to happen. I was committed to discipline my body and my mind from the very beginning. A new baby wasn't going to be an excuse card I'd allow myself to play. Slowly over the last 6 months I've been working on discipline - slowly working my way up to going to the gym 3 mornings  a week, reading my bible daily, etc. The culmination of all that hard work was our Weekend away two weeks ago, the speakers encouraged me and brought me back to the reality that my life is not my own -  I do all things for the glory of God. That to discipline my body and mind was not for myself or my family, but for God alone.

We had company last week for the 4th of July, I was sick a few days before that with strep throat and spent some time laying around recuperating. Just those few changes in routine left me undisciplined. I was amazed that when I give up discipline in one area all the others go with it - like the food I eat, the time I waste, the energy I have, the time I invest in my kids, etc.

Those two experiences have challenged me to not give up my quest for discipline, I love those days that begin early at 5:00 am, though I don't like getting up early, they result in achievements and an organized day. The discipline of life also opens the doors to having the Lord speak into my life. The Lord honors those who are obedient and pursue holiness. I'm encouraged that my heavenly Father is teaching me and revealing areas that I need to work on - specifically my marriage and the way I approach honoring my husband.  May this post remind me in the days ahead that discipline and rising early are worthy goals that draw me closer to my Lord.

No comments: