Sunday, May 3, 2009

William's Market - a Thrifty Alternative to Expensive Toys

Drew has been wanting to get a pretend kitchen to play with, but I didn't want to spend all that money. So we created our own William's Market as a compromise - it is still a work in process, but here is what we've put together so far.

:: Recycled paper and plastic containers, taped or glued shut to replicate the real product.

:: a cash register from the Goodwill for 2.00 - equipped with the add and subtract buttons for mathematics.
:: Expired coupons, laminated to replicate money and to teach/brainwash the kids into being thrifty themselves. It also works great for matching and identification.

:: This is a great way to recycle! Now when boxes are emptied, Drew asks "can we add this to my grocery store?"

:: Paper/plastic bags to imitate the real shopping experience! I'm looking for a pretend shopping cart at the Goodwill, but Drew doesn't know that yet!

Drew's favorite thing to play is Grocery store, even Daddy has gotten into the act. It was so funny to watch Drew check me out with my groceries, he insisted on making the pretend "beep" and scanning the bar code. He really looks for the barcode on every item!

Drew is really into couponing and even asked yesterday if we could get him his own coupon box. I guess I'll take his enthusiasm as long as it lasts, I picture him being 14 and not wanting to be seen in the store with his mom and her big blue coupon box! For now its very fun! Yesterday when we were playing he asked to learn how to use the adding machine. We added 3.00 (milk) and 1.00 (hot cocoa) and my bill was 4.00. Drew actually got it!
This unit has been very fun for all involved, Drew just loves to pretend and collect things so this project is on for his personality.

Little Gabe loves to wander around and undo everything Drew set up, which has posed some arguments and whining. Drew and Gabe enjoy playing just as long as Gabe stays in line. If Drew can't boss him around then the game is over. Sounds a lot like how my mom described my childhood. Can you guess who was the boss?

No comments: