Saturday, April 11, 2009

"Why Did Jesus Have to Die Mommy?"

This evening Drew and I spent a lot of time talking about Jesus. We watched a few seconds of footage from a movie so Drew could have a mild image of what our Lord when through on the cross. Drew just kept asking me over and over, "Mommy, why, why did Jesus have to die." So innocent a question, yet so complex an answer. Why did He die? There are so many reasons, yet the most powerful for me is that He willingly died so the debt of sin could be paid. That payment allowed me access to God - the perfect and Holy Creator who longs to have intimacy with all of us. God so longs to have intimacy with us that he sacrificed his own son for me... for us. What more could God possible do for mankind to reveal His love and passion for us? I can't think of anything more loving, anything more permanent, anything more necessary.

Thank you Father for Your sacrifice, before the foundation of the world you created a plan to redeem sinful man. Your plan is permanent and stands before all mankind as an option. You don't force yourself on anyone, yet long to save everyone. May I never forget your sacrifice and the reality that heaven and hell really exist. If I really believe that truth then I'll seek to share that truth with all of mankind. The consequences are too high






(This was a video our church showed a few weeks back, I was so touched by this atheist who understood the message of Christ, didn't believe the message, but understood the depravity of mankind if Jesus is in fact who he claims to be. His statements were convicting to me, if unbelievers are going to Hell, why isn't my message more urgent and why am I so timid in sharing what I believe and know to be true?)

Next, our day ended with a Good Friday service where we sang songs to our Lord and listened to a narration about the various colors surrounding the crucifixion. I kept finding myself wanting to jump to the resurrection, and gloss over the sacrifice. Its so brutal, horrible, and painful to think about. I put myself in the shoes of God, I could never love anyone so much that I'd sacrifice my child. Yet, that is exactly what God did for me... for us. I really wanted to tell Drew that Jesus rose again, but without understanding the sacrifice, the resurrection isn't very powerful.


And Jesus Christ our Lord was shown to be the Son of God when God powerfully raised him from the dead by means of the Holy Spirit. Through Christ, God has given us the privilege and authority to tell Gentiles everywhere what God has done for them, so that they will believe and obey him, bringing glory to his name.




Romans 1:4-5


Lastly, we wrapped Jesus (a play mobile figure) in gauze and placed him in the tomb with the Roman soldiers standing guard. Sunday the stone will be rolled away and Jesus will be alive! That is the whole message of Christianity, Jesus was crucified, the most awful death one could imagine, then rose three days later. Our Saviour not only died for us, but also lives for us!

No comments: