Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Freedom Found In The Silence


There is great freedom in being a Christian – the battle was already fought and our Lord is the victor! The last two weeks I have spend some large quantities of time just being silent – silent before the lord, silent before my family, and silent in all that I am doing about my day. Silence brings forth the benefit of true listening. Now, the Lord has a very funny sense of humor, about 5 days into my thoughtful silence the Lord allowed me to get a nasty cold, which has turned into laryngitis! Obviously, there is much for me to learn and the Lord is helping me along my quest and teaching me how to find Him in the silence of the everyday. My world often seems so chaotic and loud; seeking out silence has refreshed my soul and allowed me to look at all aspects of my life – finding those things that are pure and those that need some New Year adjustments.

One thing the Lord has been revealing to me in this silence is the victory I have in Jesus. Galatians 5:1 says, “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” So often I look at where I want to be spiritually and immediately feel defeated – attempts and failures spring into my mind and I relive many sinful choices that keep me enslaved to sin – this defeatist attitude is like putting on a yoke of slavery each day. As I was contemplating what the Lord was revealing in my life I read chapter 9 of Esther – the entire chapter is about the Jew’s victory! My did I need to be reminded of God’s victory! The Jews in chapter 9 chose, against all odds, to stand up and fight, they had great faith that the Lord would deliver them. The Bible says that by God’s sovereignty the Jews mastered their enemies and their sorrow turned to gladness and morning turned to holiday (Esther 9:22). In the New Testament, Roman’s 8:31 reminds us of, “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
So if you feel defeated today, spend some silent time seeking the Lord and quietly ask him what yoke of slavery you’re choosing to put on each day - for our battle has already been fought, and the Lord is our victory. Knowing that should conquer our defeatist attitude, since the battle has already been won, we are no longer slaves to our sin, but slaves to righteousness (Romans 6:17).

No comments: