Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jesus Still Reigns

Last night was such a unifying experience for me. I thought McCain's concession speech was well spoken and I hope the theme of his message will be adopted by all Americans. We all need to come together - Black or While, Rich or Poor, Democrat or Republican. I am honored to live in a country that has moved beyond the horrible weight of slavery and has elected our first African American President. Though I did not vote for him I commit to pray for his leadership, his family, his visions for our nation, and for godly wisdom. Solomon, the wisest man to ever walk this earth was given the opportunity to have anything he wanted and his response to God was - Wisdom. I believe every Christian out there should commit to pray for all our leaders - especially Barack Obama - that he may rule with wisdom.

  • A nation will prosper when its ruler is mature....” Pray for Maturity. Ecclesiastes. 10:17
  • When there is moral rot within a nation, its government topples easily; but with honest, sensible leaders there is stability.” Pray for morality and honesty. Proverbs 28:2
  • “A leader of good judgment gives stability.”Pray for sound judgement. Proverbs 29:4
  • “Make Jesus your Lord proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God's emissaries for keeping order. It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of fools... Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.” Pray for Christians, that we would obey laws that don't violate scripture and submit to leadership that we might not always agree with politically. May we not blaspheme the name of anyone, especially those in authority, whom for this period in history God has appointed Barack Obama. 1 Peter 2:13-17

The Lord is indeed on his throne and is ruling, our new president did not catch God off guard. It was planned before the foundation of the world.

“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

2 Chronicles 7:14

1 comment:

TandiD007 said...

Hi Melissa,

This is Tandi, we have not spoken for quite awhile, but I want to say thank you for your words.

One of the most heartbreaking experiences of my life this week came from reading the blog of someone who used to be close to me and seeing, "shame on you Black votes for electing Obama simply based on the color of his skin."

I can tell you as a Black voter, I have not and did not vote for anyone simply based on the color of their skin. I can not believe that there are people out there who think they are speaking in Christian love would say such a thing.

That really really hurt my heart, because I would not do such a thing. I have 5 Uncles who have served our country proudly.

My Dad and my Stepdad also proudly served our country. My Grandpa and several of my female family members have also proudly served our country.

They also have strong political opinions and I can not think of a single one who voted for Obama simply because he is Black. Actually my family gets into these political debates all the time and it makes me nuts, but it makes me think also.

Anyway when you read statements spoken with such hate it hurts your heart, and I found myself crying and even now I am sad because of it.

However when you read the opposite of a hateful statement and find it written in love then you can see beyond the hurt and say, America has come along way. You can say yes there are people out there who will always spit out harsh words without thinking about who they will hurt, and there are people who will help to heal those wounds.

Thank you for helping to heal my wounded heart this morning, your kindness and call to prayer is exactly what need to be said. Not hate, not finger pointing.

Not forgetting that there are also people who opted out of voting for Obama simply because he is Black. Just love.

I mean it from deep down in my heart thank you Melissa.

Sincerly,
Tandi