Saturday, July 19, 2008

An Evening with Steven....

Last night I was blessed to attend a benefit concert for the MidCities Pregnancy Center. The concert was a evening with Steven Curtis Chapman. What a wonderful time we had celebrating life. It was such a humbling experience. Many of you know that Steven lost his youngest daughter Maria in an auto accident a few months back. The evening was spent going back over Steven's songs and contemplating the deeper meanings. Unfortunately, he and his family have entered the group of people who know what it is like to lose someone close. I think every person in that room was asking the same question, "If God were to take my child from this earth, would I still believe that God is God and worship Him?" It was a humble experience being with someone grieving and mourning the loss, yet through his own mourning allowed the audience to see into his heart. What we all saw was a man, questioning, yet steadfast and committed to his Savior. Through his pain, he can already see the good that has come through this tragedy. His grief allowed us all to experience God. I experience God each day, but for just a few hours I was able to see through God and into His heart - God's heart that mourns with is all. God's heart that loved us all so much that he made a way through Christ that allows us to experience completeness. As Christian's in America, we rarely desire to go to heaven unless we are suffering. But when tough life circumstances happen it takes us to a place where we desire to move past this life and into a perfect, complete, and God centered world -free of pain where we can just drink in our God's presence. Too often I don't go to that place, I like my little world where my children are well fed and we have a nice clean home with nice clean lives. Those things aren't bad in and of themselves, but there are millions of people who don't have that luxury. They are hurting, dyeing, struggling, and they desire a life with Jesus! How my life would be different if I focused more on the needs of others instead of my little world. The evening certainly opened the door for the Lord to work on my heart.

No comments: