Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Honor



One of my 2 degree goals this month was to find little ways to honor my husband better - I think following a 2 1/2 year old around and being pregnant has really dampened my attitude of late. John has been the best husband, stepping up and doing laundry, watching Drew, making dinner, he even cleaned the floors! What a wonderful husband I have!

I asked John what I could do to honor him better this week and he said " you could rub my feet" so that is one of my daily goals! John is remodeling a clients bathroom and has been working 12 hour days, his feet are quite tired and sore. What a privilege to wash and rub my husband's feet - just like Christ washed the disciples before his crucifixion.

A few other ways I am honoring John this week are:



  • I am committed to praying specifically for John each morning before I get out of bed, which was reinforced by the quote of the week "When there is little awareness of real need there is little real prayer."~ Donald S. Whitney ~ Spiritual Disciplines For the Christian Life. My husband has great needs in his life that I have been slacking on praying for as his wife and #1 encourager. This goals has been moved to the top of my list, even above feet washing!

  • honoring him with kind and encouraging words

  • thinking of his needs first even in the little things - like ordering him his favorite type of pizza with extra sauce, just the way he likes it

  • Drew and I splurged and ordered John a subscription to a woodworking magazine as a special surprise!


What a difference this challenge has made in me! I am finding it easier and easier to see the little things my husband does for us - there are so many, he must spend all day thinking up ways to honor us. John is always kind in his words and has a smile on his face even after a long day of work. I wish I could say that about myself! Since taking this challenge, I've had a much better attitude in general which overflows into all aspects of my life. When I combine this challenge with my 1000 gifts challenge there isn't any time in my day to think on the negative.



Philippians 4:8-9 comes to my mind



"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen
in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."



I believe that my attitude as a wife and mother has everything to do with allowing the "God of peace" access into our home.



May the God of Peace be in your home also!



5 comments:

Denise said...

May God shine on your marriage dear one.

JavaMama said...

I have been so encouraged during this challenge! Thank you for sharing your hearts journey as you trek on... I too have had a better attitude during this and been able to see my husband more clearly.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

blackpurl said...

how sweet, that all he asked for was a foot rub... I continue to be amazed that what men need is not nearly as complicated as what we women need! (or think we need)

May God bless you and your husband during the coming week!

Oldqueen44 said...

One thing I learned while remodeling homes was that my feet got really tired from the physical labor. When I would get home I would say to my knight, Want to show me how much you love me? He of course said yes. Then I would ask him to take my work boots off. Easy task , but oh how it made me feel good. So try asking him if you can take his shoes/boots off for him. He will love it.

Christine said...

Wonderful post and progress! My hubby loves woodworking too. I got him a subscription for his bday last year.

I love that you are taking care of his feet. That's so special! A friend of mine's husband actually washed her feet during his proposal to her. Such a sacrificial spirit!