Friday, June 22, 2007

2 Degree Changes


I heard on a radio show, Focus on the Family, that an effective change in habit starts with small 2 degree changes in our habbits.

"Houston, we have a problem." Just a two-degree shift in Apollo 13's homeward course would have caused the spacecraft to miss the earth by thousands of miles. Indeed, minor changes can make a big difference. The same principle applies in daily life. For example, how long did you maintain your New Year's resolution to lose 20 lbs? Setting the bar too high often leads to discouragement, but smaller, more manageable changes can increase your likelihood of success. Psychologist and author Dr. John Trent discusses simple adjustments that can lead to life-changing results.
"How in the world such can a small degree of difference lead to such a great effect? I don't meet couples that, when they got married, were 11,121 miles apart. They started off two degrees [apart] and all of a sudden they woke up one day and were miles apart."

- Mr John Trent


A few 2 degree changes I am making this week are: working on my 1,000 gifts list, praying for my children throughout the day (note cards work great!) and I am making it a personal challenge to encourage my husband more this week than ever before. John works so hard and never complains! He is always an encouragement to me and to Drew. Drew lives for Daddy to come home. - Daddy is much more fun than Mommy! There is so much to praise and complement him for! For Valentines I wrote down the top 100 reasons why I love him to much. I think I will go back and re-read the list and use some of them each day to praise him for his sacrifices and wisdom in leading our family.


"She watches over the affairs of her household

and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;

her husband also, and he praises her:"

Proverbs 31:27-28


2 comments:

Christine said...

I'm so glad you've linked up to the hubby challenge. I hope that your time focusing on your marriage blessed you this month!

Kerry said...

hi, came from fruit in season. the music on your blog is beautiful!! hope you're having a great week!