Saturday, November 25, 2006

Reflections of Joy

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends. Please write me back or call me with your prayer requests - I really enjoy praying for each and every one of you!

I have been reflecting this Thanksgiving Season on finding joy. I tend to get a little depressed when trials and lack of routine come into my life; a friend encouraged me to jot down, for an entire day, the things that I can find joy in. Wow, was I blown away at what I discovered. I assumed joy would come when "big" moments came around like Thanksgiving dinner or a trip to Six Flags, but I discovered that my true, abiding joy, was found in the small mundane things of life. My joy wasn't found in an emotional experience, but was mental choice to shift my focus onto the "things that are lovely and pure and profitable..." Those short moments when I stood in wonder at the Lord's creation, or the cute little babblings of my 2 year old son, or the quiet meditation of a Psalm, was where I found real intimacy & joy in the Lord. As Christians we already have joy (it is one of the fruits of the spirit), all we have to do is grab onto those moments and abide in the Lord. Please join me in praying for our group of ladies, pray that joy would be a constant stream into our life, reflecting off onto others, shining the light of the gospel to future generation.

Father God, might my joy filled life finally be experienced when I capture delight in the small, insignificant slices of moments that would have ordinarily been missed each day; for joy doesn't become visible when I am waiting for an emotional experience, but shows itself in reflections of simple, almost missed seconds, pieced together into a puzzle called joy.

In Christ,
Melissa

No comments: