Saturday, September 30, 2006

I can't believe it is the last day in September! Our October is booked solid with Birthday's, camping, a visit from Bethany and Johnny 4, John's graduation from college, and a trip to the pumpkin patch.
Good news on the medical front - John's injections did eliminate the back pain for a whole week! He did, as predicted, pull a muscle in his shoulder thought. His body is going to have to learn how to live without back pain and with relaxed muscles; a challenge that John is more than ready for. Our next step will be for John to have a Rhyzotomy sometime in October; the doctors predict he will only be stuck in bed for a day or two, nothing serious. Then, he will start routine electric muscle stimulation to try and relax the knotted muscles in his back and physical therapy to add strength . Best of all, John will not be on ANY drugs for back pain. This is the first doctor John has been to in four years that was willing to work on eliminating his back pain without daily painkillers! The Lord was so good to provide a doctor educated in modern medicine. Hopefully John will be able to walk and run without pain . His foot is also doing well, the doctor isn't requiring him to wear the boot any longer ; John is moving slower than normal but is at least up and mobile. He even received a funny comment from a friend at work stating that he couldn't hear when John was coming anymore because he isn't dragging his toe!
Today Drew and I played in his kid pool in the backyard - it was 92 degrees - what a fun filled afternoon we had basking in the sunshine! Sorry, there won't be any pictures of Drew for a little while, my camera broke and had to be shipped back to the manufacturer. I don't know what I will do without it! Drew is running and playing constantly. He is getting so much better at coming when called, we made it into a game so he loves to "Come to Mommy." It has been so useful! Yesterday Drew went outside ahead of me and when I went to look for him I couldn't find him. I started to panic and then remembered to call Drew with "Come to Mommy" and out popped this little head from behind our car, he then toddled over to me for a big hug!
This week I have been reading a new book and also journaling. I was told by a counselor that journaling is a great way to work through stress. Stress; evidently I don't work through it well. I think contemporary culture would call me a "stuffer." Hence the back giving out, TMJ, and headaches. I must admit that being told to write, which is something I love, was a very exciting possibility that I hadn't allowed myself to enjoy. I also went horseback riding on Sunday afternoon with some friends of John's. Now that was relaxing; riding a beautiful paint gelding down the trails of the grasslands on an 80 degree day - a soothing and tranquil Sunday. My new book for this month is a biography on William Wilberforce. I had never heard of him until John Piper broadcast a sermon series on influential men and women who shaped Christianity away from religion and towards an individual relationship with the Jesus Christ. I was so intrigued by Wilberforce's plight towards freeing the slaves in early 1800 England and his revolutionary faith, that I had to get his biography. So far it has been a very testing read; the book has been demanding and I feel very amateurish reading such eloquence and though provoking material. William Wilberforce was such a deep thinker who loved sentences packed with greatness and length. To think when I correct John's papers I am always adding periods, maybe John is more in step with great minds of writing that I give him credit for? My AP English teacher Mrs. Craig would be so proud of his sentence patterns! I just read this great quote by Wilberforce
"It seems to be an opinion pretty generally prevalent, that kindness and sweetness of temper; sympathizing, benevolent, and generous affections; attention to what in the world's estimation are the domestic, relative, and social duties; and, above all, a life of general activity and usefulness, may well be allowed, in our imperfect state, to make up for the defect of what, in strict propriety of speech, is termed religion. Many, indeed, will unreservedly declare, and more will hint, the opinion that the difference between the qualities above mentioned and religion, is rather a verbal or logical, than a real and essential difference; for in truth, what are they but religion in substance if not in name? Is it not the great end of religion, and, in particular, the glory of Christianity, to extinguish the malignant passions; to curb the violence, to control the appetites, and to smooth the asperities of man; to make us compassionate and kind, and forgiving one to another; to make us good husbands, good fathers, good friends; and to render us active and useful in the discharge of the relative social and civil duties? We do not deny that, in the general mass of society, and particularly in the lower orders, such conduct and tempers can not be diffused and maintained by any other medium than that of religion. But if the end be effected, surely it is only an unnecessary refinement to dispute about the means. It is even to forget your own principles; and to refuse its just place to solid, practical virtue, while you assign too high a value to speculative opinions."
I hope you have a mind challenging week packed with the pursuit of knowledge! Challenging our minds is such fun!
Melissa

No comments: