Sunday, August 6, 2006

August 6th, 2006
Greetings! Only two more weeks until Ruben and & Julie's wedding! We can't wait to see everyone who is coming to the wedding. It is sure to be hot, but we have some fun air-conditioned events planned. That also means that John's surgery is only a few weeks away too - he can't wait for his foot to feel better. John only has 2 1/2 more weeks of this term so he is very busy preparing for finals. He also has a few last minute projects to complete before the wedding - like clean up the guest room and the garage.
This weekend Drew moved up into a new class at church. He was so excited to go into a room with tables and chairs his size. He didn't even care that I left! His teacher said that he told everyone "hi" the whole hour. Drew has a lot of new words too; his vocabulary is exploding. Today I was reading him a book and he pointed to the red car and said "car" just like that. I am so excited that he can communicate with us! Some friends were over on Saturday and they even understood him!
Sunday supper was actually eaten on Saturday night - since John had to work on Sunday. We went to church with our friends Natalie and Mat and then came home for a steak dinner. It was so much fun to catch up with our friends and share recent happenings. John ran a few ideas by them for his new misting system and then we sat outside and talked around my flowerbeds. The evening was very pleasant and the flowers were in full bloom.
Ephesians 5:1-2
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
Today we took some clothes and toys to the family we adopted. God is so good to provide for us so that we are able to bless others! One of our new families is a single mom with 5 boys! She has her hands full. Pulling up to their non air-conditioned home in the slums of Haltom City on a 102 degree day really put my life purpose into perspective. I often take my life, child, and wonderful marriage for granted. I've begun to realize God's purpose for our family is to be a servant to others - to be imitators of God by sacrificially giving of time, resources, and energy. That is such a hard job, one I confess to be totally inadequate for. I am in awe that God can overcome my shortcomings. The family was so thankful for the clothes, toys, and school supplies. It is such a privilege to be the hands and feet of Jesus, I hope they see Jesus when they look to our family.
God gave me a personal message today, delivering it through my sweet little Drew - he reminded me that servanthood was what I was created for. The message actually came in the form of a story - when Drew and I arrived to meet the new family we are helping, my son immediately saw one of his old toys and grabbed it from the box. After visiting and getting to know one another for 10 minutes it was time to go and time for Drew to give up the toy he had latched onto. I explained that we were giving the toy to his new friend Christopher so he could play with it. Drew was not too thrilled with his new plan, but walked over and gave the tractor to Christopher and his brother Dylan. Even now it brings my eyes to tears as I remember watching the scene unfold. My little 18 month old was giving away his toy to a family who needed it more. Thank you Lord that Drew had a giving heart! It touched my life more than words can express. Please continue to pray for Julia and her 5 boys. They are such a sweet family and we are so privileged to be used by God in their lives.
Love,
Melissa

No comments: