Monday, July 31, 2006

July 31,2006
I can't believe it is already the last day in July, this month has flown bye! I thought I would write about Drew's new developments, he has been learning so many new things that I can't keep up with them all.
Yesterday at Sunday supper we all sat down to eat at the table, Drew sat in his special highchair that hangs off the side of the table. Half way through the meal Drew wanted to get down and I told him he had to wait until we were finished. He had not eaten a lot of his dinner so I was hoping he would eat some more. After throwing a nice little fit and looking quite dejected because he did not get his way he was allowed down from the table. Drew then proceeded to climb onto the bench where I had eaten dinner. Then he sat down next to John, grabbed his plate and fork and started to eat his dinner. Somehow he had gotten it in his head that he wanted to sit on the bench like all the big people and he wouldn't rest until he got his way. Oh my we are in for some fun!
On a more positive note I found about 10 new board books at the Goodwill so Drew has been learning a lot of new words. He loves to look at pictures in children's books, point, and say "is it?" I then tell him the word and he tries to repeat it. He learned the word "cow" the other day, he pronounces it "owe" and now thinks that the cow barks like a dog - oh well I can't expect perfection at 18 months. Drew has been so good this past month at receiving instructions and following through with the request. (Drew is listening really well, he just can't say very many words back to me). Today I asked him to get his shoes so we could go eat his lunch outside. He proceeded to walk right over to where he had taken off his shoes earlier and brought them to me. I didn't even know where his shoes were! Drew also knows the command "stop," finally. Today he was playing outside in the front yard and wandered a little too far for my comfort. I asked him to come back, but he did not hear me. I then said "stop" and would you believe he stopped and looked at me! I then repeated "Drew, come to Mommy" and he toddled right over. Yea! I was so excited that the consistency was finally starting to produce some rewards.
Drew is having fun being a little boy! He is climbing on everything and getting into everything. He also runs everywhere! He loves to grab Daddy's tools out of the garage and drag them all over the yard. I often find wrenches in the grass when I am mowing the lawn! A few days ago Drew was using a wrench for a sword and a screwdriver for a crayon. He loves to chase balls all over the house and drag Tupperware under the kitchen table.
I am so blessed to be his Mommy and be able to stay home and watch him grow into a little man right before my eyes!
Melissa

No comments: