Sunday, May 21, 2006

May 21, 2006
I can't believe Drew is 16 months old! He saw the pediatrician this week and weighed in at 21 pounds and 5 oz. I was shocked that he was so little. The scale at home had been reading a lot higher. Drew has been battling a severe diaper rash for three weeks now. He has been in to see the doctor twice. The last time I insisted that there was something very wrong, that we were not dealing with a diaper rash. It looked to me like Drew had been birned or something. Finally, on Friday I insisted that my normal doctor check out Drew's bottom, she was shocked at the change from 5 days earlier. She thinks Drew has Strep, just on his bottom not in his throat. I checked out pictures on the internet and they looked identical! Evadently, the Strep rash is misdiagnosed 8 out of 10 times. I am glad that my mommy instinct was alarmed! Othewise we would have had a really rough weekend. As it was Drew couldn't sleep Wednesday night. He was up half the night screaming. It seemed the more topical medicine I put on, the worse it got. He even slept without a diaper that night, in the morning his rash was still worse. Poor baby! Drew is feeling so much better now that he is on medicine. I will keep a close eye on it, the probability of the rash returning is very high.
I just posted a video of Drew giving kisses. That is his new thing this week. He is so sweet, I will be holding him and he will catch my eye and give me a big wet kiss on the lips. Drew is still chatting away. We don't understand most of what he says, but more words are starting to come. He has been consistent at saying "thank you" and "your welcome." We are still working on "please." Drew is back in a sleeping phase. He sleeps from 7:30 pm to 9:00 am and takes a nap from 11:00-1:30. Drew has finally combined his morning and afternoon nap.
We went swimming for the first time yesterday. Drew loved the water, until he tripped face first into the kiddy pool. It took him a little while to get back in. He did have fun playing with his TiTi this week, she drove in from Oklahoma.
Love,
Melissa

No comments: