Friday, March 17, 2006

March 17, 2006
Greetings from the land down under! No, wait I mean the land of Cattle and Steak Houses! I am in a rather creative mood this evening so please bear with me! Sorry Drew or I haven't written in a few weeks, the days just seem to fly by. I can't believe we are already into Spring Break of 2006. Where did the time go. Last year at this time I wrote the following:
My little boy is growing up; he is already 7 weeks old. I was playing with him last night and started to cry because he has changed so much. Drew no longer looks like a newborn; he has even outgrown his Newborn and Preemie cloths. He is now only wearing 0-3 month outfits. Last Monday Drew went in for a checkup and weighed 9 lbs. 2 oz. Drew now has a double chin and fat roll on his arms and knees. He slept longer periods of time this week - 3 hour afternoon naps! Drew and I have been taking daily walks around the block; Drew seems to like all the movement and the new things to see. Our grass turned green this week and our tree is starting to bloom. Spring is finally on its way! John and I tried to go on a short date to Starbucks on Friday night, hoping Drew would sleep in his car seat but, he wanted nothing to do with sleeping. We ended up taking our caffeine home and all three of us cuddled next to the fire. Drew had a fussy week; he has been battling minor stomach pains and a little bit of gas. He even managed to overflow two diapers, one of which overflowed onto mommy's pants! We both had a bath that night

My how the year has changed! Currently, Drew weighs 21 lbs and sleeps through the night - 7 pm to 9 am most days. We are truly fortunate parents to have a little one who sleeps so well. Drew and I are still take frequent walks around the block, the only change is that Drew normally walks part of the way on his own two feet. He loves to play in the yard and in Daddy's garage. I recently decided that Drew needed to have the creative side of his brain exercised so I bought $2.95 worth of big chalk sticks to play with in the yard. He loves writing over all mommy's nice bricks. The great thing is they come right off with water. Drew's new words this week are: please and light. He is starting to talk more and more! Drew's favorite past time is riding on Daddy's shoulders and practicing his Abdominal workout. Drew also loves to ride down the stairs on Daddy's shoulders while Daddy bounces up and down really fast. Drew gives a big laugh when he reaches the bottom.
The past two weeks have been a little stressful at my work - I just finished the February close and jumped right into a major audit. Poor Drew has been seeing a lot of Daddy, Nana, and Aunt Julie, but little of Mommy. So, today I took the day off and went to Home Depot for some Spring plants. Drew and I spent most of the day playing in the front and back yard planting bulbs, roses, tomatoes, green beans, and geraniums. We had so much fun playing outside today. I really enjoyed myself! I was going to help Julie with some wedding plans, but she has been busy writing a research paper for school! Drew, Nana, Julie (commonly called "ti ti") & I topped the night off with a family trip to CeCe's Pizza. Drew loves their pizza, pasta, and olives! John on the other hand was at work and missed out on all the fun!
John is busy with a new quarter in school. He also just finished building a bathroom counter for some friends. John also built some raised flower beds in my mom's new backyard this week. Drew was even able to help! He moved all of Daddy's tools and hid them when Daddy wasn't looking.
Things around our home are nice and peaceful, Spring is in the air accompanied with lots of love! I recently signed up for a great mentoring program at our new church and am eager to meet my Mentor . My mentee, Shannon is doing well and enjoying her new apartment 20minutes away. We still try and meet on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. We are starting up a new Bible Study called Breaking Free by Beth Moore. God is doing amazing work in our family. Please pray for John and I in the area of self-discipline. We both struggle in that area and are trying to make strides this year in maintaining consistency and follow through. We pray that we would model to Drew a relationship with Christ that looks a little more like Him each day, month, and year.
Oh, I almost forgot! John and I just celebrated our 8 th anniversary on March 12 th. For those of you saying , wait a minute, they were married in January only a few years ago?.. this anniversary is celebrating the day we met! On our One Year Anniversary I wrote john a little bit of "light" reading. Actually, it was 16 pages describing the most memorable event from that first year we met. I carried on the tradition for two more years. I must have found a life by year 4 because I haven't kept up the tradition. Here is a brief excerpt detailing my first encounter with the Importunate Mr. John Williams!
March 12, 1998

" How about I start way back at the beginning to when we first met. It was at the play Camelot, remember? I was sitting next to Shannon Turner; she introduced me to you and then you came over and sat next to me. You had your CD player & a donut in one hand and your huge backpack in the other. I remember thinking you were another one of those goof off kids who had no appreciation for good quality drama productions. You continued to "impress" me by saying something about my hair and how nice I looked. I think I remember you saying something about being lucky because you got to sit between two beautiful ladies. What a flirt! I quickly pushed the idea of you being a huge tease into the back of my mind and focused my eyes on the play ahead of me. Sure enough half way through the second act I looked over to find you hunched down in your chair; you were listening to your CD player and taking a nice long nap. Regardless, the play ended and I said my polite good-bye and left for my car. That Johnny was our very first encounter; I thought you were a typical guy who spent most of his time goofing off and flirting with girls. (Sometime later I found that my first impression was still correct?"
"Later, when I was finally leaving, you came over and asked me for my phone number. You appeared very calm and collected looking through my car window. I remember thinking that you looked so calm that you must have done it often. (I learned much later that you already had my telephone number and anything else you needed to know; you had secretly went into the office and looked at my personal school file. If I'd known that about you then I would have been scared out of my wits; thinking you were an ax murder or something) Now Shannon had told me you were going to ask for my number earlier just to make sure I was not in total shock when you asked. I remember thinking that I should, just because it might be fun to have a boy call my house. See, I had never shown an ounce of interest in any boys, accept for my dashingly handsome horse Ollie, and you calling my house would have placed my parents in a state of shock."
Well, off to bed with me. I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into our crazy family! Please come and visit us to get the "real" picture for yourself!
Love,
Melissa

No comments: